Tuesday, September 20, 2005

A Child from Katrina: I know her!!!

I look at the pictures of Katrina victims as I follow the news. I see the young children, almost 2000 of them are lost and separated from their families. I see a young girl, who's so young that she can not speak. Her eyes only show her immense helplessness, sadness, anguish, despair, detachment, and sorrow...She looks around for known faces, laughter, giggle, warmth, close hug. She misses them altogether very abruptly. I know her. She's the one who shows us the pain of loosing everything. I've seen the same child in Bangladesh in 1988 and 1991 when we had flood and tornado. She is the one who doesn't know the party politics, race relations, social responsiveness, consciousness, good samaritarian's hands.

All she knows that she needs her long lost mummy, her brother, her world. Who'll find her mummy, her loved ones? It's very shocking, very painful, and very tragic that I can hardly put her pains into words. What can I offer from here in Bangladesh is my best wishes and my prayers and a sense of inspiration to rise to help and to reach. May be a prayer song from our Great Poet Rabindranath Tagore has some healing voice and goodness:

"...Give me the strength lightly to bear my joys and sorrows.
Give me the strength to make my love fruitful in service.
Give me the strength never to disown the poor or
bend my knees before insolent might.
Give me the strength to raise my mind high above
daily trifles.
And give me the strength to surrender my
strength to thy will with love".


Rabindranath Tagore, Gitanjali

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home